According to the guidelines of the Council of Department Directors (Sept. 13, 2022), when a part of the exam is scheduled in the distance mode - where a part must necessarily be in presence - the oral exam will take place via video conference with Zoom, Google Meet or a similar system.
Two professors must participate in the session if a written portion of the exam is not included.
All students are responsible for respecting the general values and conduct stipulated in the Student Honour Code.
Oral exams will take place via video conference with Zoom, Google Meet or a similar program. At least two professors must be present during the exam if a written portion is not required.
The exam session cannot be recorded in any way, neither by professors nor by students.
Students registered for the exam will receive a link from the professor to access the virtual classroom through the usual communication channels (Moodle noticeboard for the course and Esse3).
If the Zoom platform is used, the environment in which the exam takes place is comprised of:
- a virtual waiting room where students wait for their turn
- and a virtual classroom or meeting area where students take the exam. If the professor chooses “breakout rooms” can also be activated which are smaller virtual rooms that can host exam sub-commissions.
If they wish, students can remain in the main virtual classroom and participate in all exam activities.
At least two professors must participate in each oral exam session if there is not a written part of the exam.
Technology, Tools and Instructions
- a computer or tablet with a webcam to connect to the exam session
- headphones with a built-in microphone
- the Zoom or Google Meet client or app.
If a professor wants to use a video conferencing system other than Zoom or Google Meet this must communicated ahead of time to department responsible for the exam.
Before the Exam
Professors and students must complete certain tasks before the exam session.
- Make sure they have a stable Internet connection
- Remember that if Zoom is used the virtual classroom or meeting area must be configured with the waiting rooms so that the system will be able to recognize students
- Communicate to students through the usual channels (Esse3, Moodle, notice board, e-mail):
- the day and time of the exam
- which video conferencing system will be utilized with instructions for connecting
- send the link to this page with guidelines for the exam
- Set up and test their webcam and audio device
- Register for the exam in Esse3
Read the guidelines on this page and the Student Honour Code.
- Wait for a notice from the professor through the usual communication channels (Esse3, Moodle bulletin board, e-mail) regarding:
- the date and time of the exam (which may differ from that indicated at the time of registration based on the actual number of students enrolled)
- the video conferencing system that will used (Zoom or Google Meet)
- Install the client or app on their computer or tablet for the video conferencing system indicated by the professor
- Make sure they have all the necessary software and equipment indicated in the above paragraph Technology, Tools and Instructions at least one day before the exam and verify that:
- that there is a stable Internet connection
- that the computer or tablet, headphones and microphone all function correctly
- that the video conferencing system indicated by the professor (Zoom or Google Meet) is configured properly
- Place the desk in front of a wall and in an adequately lit environment
- Have a photo identity document on hand for recognition at the beginning of the exam.
During the Exam
- The Zoom environment consists of:
- a waiting room, which is a virtual space where students wait for their turn)
- the main room where students take the exam and, if they wish, where they can continue to participate in other activities related to the exam.
If the professor chooses “breakout rooms” can also be activated which are smaller virtual rooms that can host exam sub-commissions.
- On the day of the exam students will enter the Zoom meeting at the indicated time.
- Immediately after verification of those present, students will be left in the waiting room with the exception of the first student to be examined. In the case of exams with a large number of registered students, small groups can be admitted to the main room according to a rolling list of participants. If necessary, all students can enter the main room together and the professor will mute the microphones of everyone except for the student being examined.
- Before beginning the exam, the professor will consult the registration list and verify the identity of each student using their Esse3 profile photo. If the photo is not in the Esse3 system, each student will be required to present a valid photo ID using their webcam. Students can show only their photo, first name and last name and conceal the other information on the identity card.
- During the oral exam students should:
- position themselves correctly in front of the webcam
- not use any type of supplementary documents or technological equipment, except in cases where this is expressly permitted by the responsible professor or by the members of the examining commission
- make sure that there are no other people close to the area where the exam is being taken so as to avoid disturbances
- follow instructions given by the professor in order to ensure smooth and timely running of the exam.
- At the end of their exam, each student will leave the meeting and the next candidate will be admitted, and so on until all registered students have completed the exam
- The meeting host (the professor or the members of the commission) manages the movement students from the waiting room to the main room or to one of the breakout rooms.
- The exam cannot be recorded, neither by teachers nor by candidates.